Supermoon Symbolism – The Perseid meteor shower and Sturgeon full moon
On August 10th at 2:09pm EDT we will have the second in our supermoon trifecta…and this is a big one!
The moon will be quite full both Saturday and Sunday evening so it will be like having two for the price of one this weekend. This full moon falls on the same day as perigee, when the moon is closest to earth in its orbit at only 221,765 miles away. This will be the biggest supermoon of 2014 at 14% closer to the earth and 30% brighter.
Some Native American tribes called this August moon the Sturgeon Moon because they knew that this was the time when the sturgeon of the Great Lakes were most readily caught. The sturgeon was a symbol of strength and grace to Native Americans. As they swim upstream to spawn, sturgeon have the strength to swim against the current, all while causing very little disturbance in the water. Water symbolizes emotion, and sturgeon represent the mastery of emotional resistance to swim gracefully through life, even when against the current of convention.
The Ojibwe (the fourth-largest US Native American tribe) called this full moon the Blueberry Moon because of the prolific ripening of berries throughout their land at this time.
Astrologically, the moon is in the sign of Aquarius. Aquarius is ruled by Uranus, a freedom-loving planet. Aquarius has been known for a playful variety of rebellion, and embodies a social, courageous, ‘dare-to-be-different’ energy.
Along with the full moon energy that is running high, in the Northern hemisphere, we also have the prolific Perseid Meteor Shower peaking from the 10th-13th. The streaks that we see in the sky consist of tiny space debris from the Swift-Tuttle comet that can leave long streaks of color and light in their wake. There can be as many as 50-100 per hour. This meteor shower is named after the constellation Perseus, because the shower seems to come from the north-eastern part of the sky where Perseus sits. In a mythological nutshell, Perseus was a god with a wild existence. He was the son of Zeus, and brother of Athena and Apollo. He was able to enlist the assistance of these powerful gods in his heroic mission to slay Medusa. Perseus took mercy on Atlas who was exhausted holding the world on his shoulders. Perseus also rescued and then married Andromeda, eventually fathering Hercules. He lived quite a life!
The symbolism occurring this weekend is perfect for big, bold breakthroughs!
Let go of the deadweight. Swim toward your destiny. Be your quirky, most authentic self as you go, even when against the norm.
Remember that your subconscious mind responds powerfully to symbolism and this month you have your pick! Here are some great symbolic activities to try out:
- Get out and soak in the moon rays while hanging out with your favorite fun-loving friends.
- Take on a 30 day learning challenge. Whether learning a language, gardening techniques, chocolate making, or motorcycle riding. Adventure and challenge are great for the soul.
- Activate your night owl or early bird and go star gazing before dawn on Sunday and Monday. There is nothing like the twinkling star light to communicate an expanded perspective to our psyche.
- Place a glass pitcher of water outside, or by a window that lets in the moon light. You can place your favorite crystals around it as well–crystals LOVE moonlight. Say a blessing of love and gratitude and then leave the pitcher overnight to be programmed with lunar vibes. Drink your light infused elixir throughout the next day.
- Blend up a blueberry smoothie or make blueberry pancakes to honor the abundance of the season!
- During any full moon, there’s no better question to ask than ‘What can I let go of?
Shedding dead weight allows you to maximize your energy and make space for the new moon/new beginning energy that heightens in a few weeks…the perfect time for intention seed planting.
The universe provides everything you need. Activate the magic of the subconscious mind’s ability to fulfill your requests. I wish you all a playful, abundant, and soul provoking full moon and meteor shower weekend!